Monday, April 14, 2008

David Ortiz Shows Bunt

Those are words I don't hear everyday.

I know it might be hard to believe, but I actually was about to write an intellectual post.

No, seriously.

I wanted to talk about the open source community, wikipedia, and game theory. But then I heard Jerry Remy say that David Ortiz showed bunt, and I was intrigued. I guess the "smart" post will have to wait until later.

Ortiz apparently does bunt once in awhile:
But how often?

According to Baseball Almanac and BaseballReference.com, David Ortiz only has one lifetime sacrifice hit, in 2001 with the Twins. No wonder I was so surprised to see him bunt. What I'd really like to know is how many times he's successfully bunted at all. No one was on base when he showed bunt today. Not something you'd expect from a slugger. In the end, his single was off a hit, not a bunt, anyway. If anyone knows how I can get bunt stats, please let me know.

No comments: